What is Jumpstart ? Jumpstart is a computer network installation tool set used by the Solaris OS. On this post, you will find easy step to perform Jumpstart installation from ISO Solaris OS images.
here are the step-by-step:
- first of all, you need to upload Solaris ISO image to server that will used as Jumpstart server. In this example, my ISO images is “sol-10-u8-ga-sparc-dvd.iso” and I uploaded already to root home directory (/).
- Add your client IP address & hostname to “/etc/hosts”, also the hostname and mac address to “/etc/ethers”.
if your client is Sparc, then you can find the mac address by running “banner” command from OK prompt. For x86, the mac address can be found on BIOS.
# more /etc/hosts
10.32.16.1 solaris10 solaris10. loghost
# more /etc/ethers
- mount ISO images using “lofiadm” command to “/mnt” directory:
# lofiadm -a /sol-10-u8-ga-sparc-dvd.iso /dev/lofi/1
Block Device File
# mount -F hsfs -o ro /dev/lofi/1 /mnt
- Check the “/mnt” directory, the jumpstart scripts are located at “/Solaris_10/Tools/” directory:
# cd /mnt/Solaris_10/Tools/
add_install_client dial rm_install_client
Boot Installers setup_install_server
- If you don’t hv enough disk space, then you can run “add_install_client” script directly:
the format is “add_install_client <hostname> <platform>”
#./add_install_client client1 sun4u
saving original /etc/dfs/dfstab in /etc/dfs/dfstab.orig
Adding “share -F nfs -o ro,anon=0 /mnt” to /etc/dfs/dfstab
enabling tftp in /etc/inetd.conf
starting nfs mountd
copying boot file to /tftpboot/inetboot.SUN4U.Solaris_10-1
NOTE: If you want to copy all or part of the install DVD onto a system to set it up as a long term install server with the install media available on local disk, then you can run “setup_install_server” script.
FORMAT: setup_install_server <destination_dir>.
- Check “/etc/bootparams”. The bootparams file contains a list of client entries that diskless clients use for booting. Make sure your client listed in there..
- Configure Client to boot from Network. for Sparc, run “boot net – install” from OK Prompt. For X86 configure BIOS to boot from Network.
- Follow the installation procedure till finish..
NOTE For X86/i386pc:
- You need to configure DHCP macro on Jumpstart server, run “/usr/sadm/admin/bin/dhcpmgr” from X Windows / GUI, then click EDIT > NETWORK WIZARD.
- put “i386pc” as your platform while running add_install_client , exp:
./add_install_client -d -e 0:0:be:a5:1a:9e -s 192.168.1.1:/mnt i86pc