What is Symantec OpsCenter?
OpsCenter is a web based monitoring, alerting, and reporting application which is capable of providing these services for the NetBackup platform as well as BackupExec, Enterprise Vault and (through the optional OpsCenter Analytics component) other third party data protection products.
OpsCenter 7 is a new product which replaces NOM and VBR, combining the features and capabilities both products into a single product together with significant performance and usability improvements. OpsCenter 7 comes in two options – OpsCenter and OpsCenter Analytics.
OpsCenter vs OpsCenter Analytics
OpsCenter is a free product which gives you the ability to monitor, alert and do operational reporting on NetBackup, Enterprise Vault, Backup Exec and PureDisk. OpsCenter server is part of NetBackup and can be deployed on master server for managing a single domain, or independently for managing multiple NetBackup Domains. It also allows you to do minor management tasks such as “upping” tape drives, restarting failed jobs, freezing/unfreezing and other tape functions, restarting services/daemons on Masters etc. The free version limits historical reporting.
OpsCenter Analytics is a licensed option that is unlocked with a key. This gives the customer the ability to display customizable, multi-level views of backup and archive resources and customizable reports for tracking service usage and expenditures. It also contains tools for defining cost metrics and chargeback formulas or handling alerts as well as allowing reporting beyond 60 days.
OpsCenter Analytics, formerly Backup Reporter, helps enhance backup and archive operations, verify service level compliance with more in depth policy and schedule information, and align backup and archiving with the business. OpsCenter Analytics provides multi product and platform support, business reporting, and complete customization, providing enhanced visibility and control into backup environment and operations.
OpsCenter Analytics can also provide reports on the following third part products in addition to those covered by OpsCenter:
-EMC Legato Networker
-IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
KEY FEATURES AND KEY BENEFITS
- Long term, configurable data retention for trending and analysis.
- Dynamic job & policy analysis.
- Reporting on exchange archiving from Enterprise Vault.
- Easy upgrade from OpsCenter to OpsCenter Analytics.
- Better predict backup storage consumption across multiple locations through maintained historical backup and archive job information.
- Reports can be created around one of the most highly managed areas of NetBackup: the policy and schedule engine.
- People less removed from day to day operations , and have centralized reporting for backup and archive operations.
- Business reporting previously available with VBR – including historical trending and predictive forecasting, cost analysis reports, complete report customization and support for 3rd party data protection products – now included in the OpsCenter package.