If you forgot the RSC password for V480, V880, V490, and V890 or other old legacy Sun machines, here are the procedure to reset the password. Requirement: SUNWrsc package
If you dont hv the package, please download the latest package from My Oracle Support:
- login to support.oracle.com
- click on “Patches & Updates” in the top menu
- in the search window (located on the right) click “Product or Family (Advanced)”
- in the updated search window type “Sun Remote” in the “Product” box, then select “Sun Remote System Control”
- Click the “Release” box (which says “Select up to 10”, in that box click “Sun Remote System Control” and then select the version “Sun Remote System Control 2.2.3”.
- In the new window you can now download RSC 2.2.3 (called p10264451_223.zip) by marking it and clicking “download”.
[reset RSC password:
Login with root privilege, install the package, then run rscadm command.
Prefix >> #/usr/platform/<platform>/rsc/rscadm userpassword <username>
[example for v890:
# /usr/platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-V890/rsc/rscadm userpassword admin
You can also reset the whole configuration by running “rsc-config” command.
If the SCADM not available, download the RSC software from MOS:
RSC Software Download (steps to download the latest RSC software):
1. Login to MOS and select “Patches and Updates Tab”
2. In “Patch Search” on the Top right panel, Click on “Product or Family (Advanced Search)”
3. In the “Product Is” pull-down select “Sun remote System Control”??
4. In the next pull down “Release is” select the RSC version (2.2.2 or 2.2.3).
5. Select OS and click “Search” (will get a list with RSC releases & patches)
6. Select the desired RSC Release (packages) or patch
7. Click Download on the Right
The packages for Solaris 8 and 9 (and later) are both in the zip file. There are two options of the zip file, 32bit, and 64bit, but they both have the same checksums, so there are no differences: p10264452_223_SOLARIS64.zip (p10264451_223_SOLARIS.zip)
Install the software as you would any Package with pkgadd.
Command syntax is same:
#/usr/platform/`uname -i`/rsc/rscadm userpassword admin
[To reconfigure the card run the command:
# usr/platform/`uname -i`/rsc/rsc-config
[If you had installed the software before and believe the card is configured check the setup:
# usr/platform/`uname -i`/rsc/rscadm show